Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful...

I'd like to share a story I heard a while back:

A man lay in his hospital bed one day. He had been there quite some time, and for the most part wasn't getting any better. His nurse walks into the room. He looks her straight in the eyes and asks, "I'm dying aren't I?" The nurse hesitates a split second, wondering whether or not she should say the truth or talk around it. She realizes that she would want the truth told to her, and after taking care of this gentleman as long as she has, she also knows he wants the truth as well. So she responds, "Yes."

The man shifts a tad in his bed, lets out a small sigh, and then looks back at his nurse. A small smile comes to his face. There are no tears. The nurse sits down in a chair next to the bed and asks him, "Are you ok with that?" The man responds, "I've lived a good life. I married a wonderful woman who I had the good fortune of spending my entire adult life with. We raised kids who went on to be successful themselves and raise kids of their own. I never truly wanted. I also had friends and family to turn too, and I was able to experience most days without hardship. If it's time to go, then I'd like to think I leave this place a little better than when I started out, and I'm thankful for everyone who experienced it all with me."


This story has stuck with me ever since I heard it. I like to think this is how I go about things. While it's true that my life has given me scars both mentally and physically to this point, I've had a great run so far. I look forward to many many more years. And with a son who seems to be thriving and another child on the way, and a wife who has stood by me through thick and thin without so much as blinking, I have much to be thankful for. I'm also thankful for the fact that tomorrow the hardest decision I'm gonna have to make is what to load the plate with as far as food goes instead of wondering where I'm gonna eat, if I'm gonna eat, or whether I'll lose it all tomorrow.

I don't need a holiday to remind me of what I'm thankful for. I can look at my family or to my friends whenever I want and be reminded of my big picture. I hope all you reading this have much to be thankful for as well.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!! If you are out and about today or tomorrow, travel safely!

1 comment:

 
Site Meter